May 27 Update
COVID-19 STATEMENT ON HEALTH AND SAFETY
Medina County District Library seeks to enrich lives in our community while being committed to the health and safety of our public and staff. For this reason, MCDL will implement the following measures per state and local health guidelines:
- Six-foot minimum distance between all individuals or the minimum required by the Ohio Dept of Health (ODH). Visual indicators and signage posted in high traffic areas demonstrating a six-foot distance.
- Staff will not report to work and the public should refrain from entering the library if showing the following COVID-19 symptoms in the last 72 hours: cough, fever, respiratory illness or difficulty breathing.
- Clear, protective, counter shields installed at transaction desks between staff and public where appropriate/possible.
- Sanitization of shared surfaces by professional cleaning service daily with additional sanitation provided by staff, hourly as needed, to high-touch areas.
- Returned materials quarantined for minimum of 4 days before substantial contact with staff.
- Public encouraged to use self check out stations instead of interacting with staff, when possible.
- Face coverings or masks must be worn by all staff per ODH guidelines. All library guests are required to wear face coverings or masks per action by the library Board of Trustees. Children under 10 years of age are not required, but are encouraged to wear a mask. Exceptions are made for those with medical conditions that would prevent them from wearing masks. Members who are unable to wear a mask will be offered Curbside Service, Any Time Lockers, or remote phone reference service.
- Payment by credit card or online is encouraged.
- Staff will self-monitor their temperatures prior to reporting for work and stay home if over 100.4 degrees.
- Adequate supply of cleaning products, masks, and gloves will be available to staff. Staff required to perform thorough hand washing for at least 20 seconds per ODH guidelines; Glove use is optional but available for staff as needed/requested.
- Staff will clean workstations before and after use.
MCDL strongly advises members of the public refrain from entering buildings if you or a member of your household has been ill or has a temperature. Members of the public are required to wear masks per ODH guidelines and MCDL Board action.
May 12 Update
Medina County District Library Closure Continues
Limited Services Returning
Dear Medina County District Library Members,
On behalf of the MCDL and our seven locations, I thank you for your patience and cooperation as we monitor the ever changing Coronavirus situation.
A cautious, phased in return to service is our goal and we anticipate opening in June. Our managers are working to prepare the buildings and collection for a safe return to service. Staff are arranging the libraries to meet social distancing protocols, preparing for staggered schedules among staff, and ordering protective equipment and cleaning supplies to ensure a safe interaction when we reopen. At this time, in-person events and meeting room bookings are suspended for the foreseeable future.
We recently received guidance for safely reopening our book drops on a limited basis. Per the recommendation, items must go in quarantine for four days before handling.
Return to Service Begins
On Monday, May 11, MCDL managers began contacting members who had holds ready for pick up before closure. Members retrieve their items from our contact-free Pick Up Lockers, located on the exterior of our buildings. However, new holds on materials cannot yet be placed and no delivery among libraries is scheduled until at least June 1.
Also May 11, Outreach Services restarted their Books by Mail program for homebound members. Priority is given to those already enrolled in the program, followed by our Outreach Members who previously received home delivery from librarians or volunteers. We are working to secure additional materials and supplies to allow us to expand this service in the future as demand increases.
On June 15 a virtual Summer Reading Game kicks off at mcdl.info/SummerReading. This popular reading game attracts thousands of young people, ages birth to 17, annually.
Live Phone Reference available during designated times. Staff will answer Reference and eMedia questions and eventually begin fulfilling requests limited to items on MCDL shelves.
Reopening of book drops during designated times to resume return service.
While we await a time when we may serve our members in person, we encourage you to take advantage of our virtual services which include:
- eMedia including eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines, downloadable and streaming movies, music and TV shows available through apps at mcdl.info/emedia. Don’t have a library card or yours is expired? Apply for an eCard and a librarian will email you your new card number to begin accessing digital material.
- Research and learning databases such as Lynda.com and Ancestry Library Edition at mcdl.info/OnlineLearning.
- Also on our website find School at Home and Helpful Resources for managing the new COVID-19 landscape of home schooling, unemployment and community assistance. Chat with a Librarian for Reference or other questions 10:00 am to 3:00 pm daily.
- Look for interactive news and events on our MCDL Facebook and Twitter accounts. Enjoy storytimes with librarians from your local branch every Monday and Wednesday at 9:30 am and the popular Wednesday Night Book Discussion at 9:30 pm, all on Facebook.
Continue to interact with our staff until we may meet again in person!
It is clear by the number of questions we are receiving about our opening that you are eager to begin using your physical libraries again. We pride ourselves on the relationships we have forged with so many of you and look forward to a slow, but steady return to service.
Until then, please take advantage of the services and materials we can safely provide, and we will greet you smiling through our masks upon our return!
Stay safe and well,
Julianne Bedel, MCDL Director
Medina County District Library Closing
Saturday, March 14 – 5:00 pm
in response to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic
All locations closed until further notice pending the Stay at Home Order issued by the Ohio Governor.
Bookdrops are Closed. MCDL is a fine-free library and offers automatic renewals. Members should enjoy their library materials until further notice. For more information about your account go to the FAQ on the website.
Medina County District Library is committed to serving the needs of the public while also working to ensure the safety and health of our members, staff and the community.
In response to Governor Mike DeWine's orders closing all K-12 schools and prohibiting mass gatherings issued March 12, and the National State of Emergency declared by President Trump Friday afternoon, all library locations will close at 5:00 pm, Saturday, March 14 and remain closed through Sunday, April 5.
This decision was not made lightly. Libraries exist to serve the needs of the public. However, evidence that social distancing can help stop the spread of the Coronavirus is a compelling factor in taking this step on behalf of our members, staff and the community during this pandemic.
Access library services digitally on our website. mcdl.info/download provides eBooks, eAudiobooks, magazines, movies and music and mcdl.info/onlinelearning will provide research and learning tools. If you don't have a physical library card you may apply for an eCard at mcdl.info/card. After processing, you will receive an email with a library card to access electronic content only.
We will continue to follow guidelines provided by our local, county and state health officials. The Medina County Health Department website contains local, state and CDC resources for you to follow at home.
Follow us on social media (Facebook, Twitter) and check our website, mcdl.info, for updates. We will keep you informed of additional changes in operation as this rapidly evolving public health situation continues to unfold.
MCDL is suspending all library programs, events, Outreach activities and meeting room use from Saturday, March 14 through at least Monday, April 6.
This decision was made for the health and safety of the community in response to Ohio Department of Health’s recommendations concerning the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
Because of the confined nature of Bookmobile service and the largely elderly population served by our Outreach Services, all Outreach will be suspended. The Books by Mail service will continue.
Our Friends of the Library book sales are suspended and donations will not be accepted during this time frame.
Please practice social distancing protocol by putting at least 6 feet of space between you and your nearest contact.
We will continue to monitor the situation and seek advice from public health officials to determine when programming and events can resume.
According to CDC guidelines, please refrain from entering MCDL locations if you have traveled to a country or area which there are travel alerts (a rapidly changing list).
Have been in close contact with someone who has a laboratory-confirmed or suspected case of the COVID-19 virus.
Have a fever and symptoms of lower respiratory illness such as cough and/or difficulty breathing.
MCDL is communicating with the Medina County Health Department and is actively following news conferences by the Governor and health officials. Our goal is to appropriately respond to the needs of our community members and staff.
MCDL follows The Ohio Department of Health recommendations that advise implementing personal protection methods used to prevent flu and other infectious diseases
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; dry hands with a clean towel or air-dry hands.
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer when soap and water are unavailable.
- Cover your mouth with a tissue or sleeve when sneezing or coughing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick to ensure a healthy immune system.
Library service may continue from home. There are many online library resources to keep you informed and entertained. If you need help getting started with any of the digital services, go to our digital services page (https://www.mcdl.info/emedia) for tutorials.
- Listen to digital audiobooks with Hoopla and OverDrive
- Read digital magazines with RBDigital and OverDrive
- Watch movies and TV with Hoopla and Kanopy
- Read ebooks with Hoopla and OverDrive
- Stay connected with our CLEVNET app (iOS and Android) to manage your account
- Don't have a library card? Apply for an ecard. You will receive an email with a digital library card number. This allows you to use all our emedia and online services from home.
Pick Up Lockers are available at select library locations. If you have holds you need to pick up but can't or don't want to come in to the library simply call your local branch library and ask them to place them in a locker so you may access them after hours.
Julianne Bedel, Director