Our “Library on Wheels” is filled with over 4,000 items including books for all ages, large print materials, magazines, audio books, music, movies and more. With more than twenty stops a week, the Bookmobile is sure to visit a neighborhood, senior living center or other community gathering place near you.
Pictured is the Manager of Outreach Services, Ann Plazek.
- The Bookmobile
6625 Wolff Road
Medina, Ohio 44256
When the bookmobile is off the road there will be no delivery of holds. All materials will be backdated at the next regularly scheduled visit -- no fines will be incured. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you have any questions, please contact our offce at 330-722-2590. Weather cancellation of the Bookmobile route will be announced on these radio stations:
- WAKR AM 1590
- WONE FM 97.5
- WQMX FM 94.9
- Request the Bookmobile
To request the Bookmobile for a new stop or special event read the Bookmobile Stop Criteria and Guidelines, then print and complete the New Stop Request Form or Special Event Request Form and return to any MCDL location or mail to:
Outreach Services Manager
6625 Wolff Road
Medina, OH 44256
- Stop Criteria
Medina County District Library’s Bookmobile delivers library services to persons outside the library with emphasis on those who are not served or underserved due to physical, economic, social, geographic or other barriers.
Definition of Underserved Populations for Bookmobile Service Priorities:
- MCDL Bookmobile may provide service for communities that are more than 3 miles from a library facility, or closer if meeting the socioeconomic criteria.
- MCDL Bookmobile may provide service for government subsidized housing facilities
- Nursing Homes, Senior Housing and Assisted Living Facilities
- Facilities that house and/or educate physically and mentally disabled persons
In addition to the geographic and socioeconomic priorities, the MCDL Bookmobile may expand services as the schedule allows, including:
- Workplace Stops
- Consumer/Commercial Stops
- Promotional/Special Event Stops
- Stop Guidelines
The MCDL Bookmobile operates on 4 calendars per year:
December - February
March - May
June - August
September - November
New stops will only be established at the beginning of one of these periods. Stops that will be discontinued will also be dropped only at the end of one of these scheduling periods. Due to the time needed to plan a new stop schedule and provide a calendar for the Library Live Newsletter, all requests for a new stop must be received at least 3 months in advance.
In adding a new stop, the following considerations will be made:
- The stop must be within the MCDL service area, which is all of Medina County except for areas serviced by the Wadsworth School System.
- The stop will be evaluated as to how it reflects the mission of the Outreach Services Department.
- Stops will be evaluated as to their priority level (see Definition of Underserved Populations for Bookmobile Service Priorities).
- Sufficient staff and resources must be available to add the stop.
- The stop must fit into the existing schedule geographically. (Some stops may not be added if a nearby stop already exists.)
- The stop should provide a sufficient level of safety as to not put staff, members and resources in jeopardy.
- There must be ample room to maneuver and park the Bookmobile which is 33 feet long.
- The stop must be able to be advertised and/or promoted by the library.
- Stops with restroom facilities are helpful, but not necessary.
The Bookmobile may be available for a single or annual visit for community events such as: a Health Fair, Community Festival, Parents' Night at School, one-time visit to a preschool, etc.
The Bookmobile is unavailable for special events during regularly scheduled stops from 9:00 am - 8:30 pm on Tuesday and Wednesday and from 1:30 - 8:30 pm on Thursdays throughout the school year. The Bookmobile may be available for other special community events when not already scheduled, depending on staffing. During the summer months additional neighborhood and summer school stops may be added on Mondays or Fridays.
Discontinuing a Stop
The schedule will be evaluated after each Bookmobile calendar considering the following:
- Consistent member use
- Consistent circulation of materials (not declining)
- Consistent return of library materials
- Proximity to other stops and traditional library service
The contact at stops failing to meet the above guidelines will be notified the stop is in jeopardy of being dropped from the schedule. Attempts at additional promotion can be used. If the stop is discontinued, the Outreach Services Manager will notify the stop contact in writing as to why the stop has been cancelled and when the cancellation goes into effect.